Security issue - set secure cookie
Our application had undergone security test and they found issues related to cookie. Please find below risk
If the secure flag is set on a cookie, then browsers will not submit the cookie in any requests that use an unencrypted HTTP connection, thereby preventing the cookie from being trivially intercepted by an attacker monitoring network traffic. If the secure flag is not set, then the cookie will be transmitted in clear-text if the user visits any HTTP URLs within the cookie's scope. An attacker may be able to induce this event by feeding a user suitable links, either directly or via another web site. An attacker with sufficient network access could eavesdrop network traffic to capture these, then use them to hijack the user's session
Recommendation : We recommend enabling the secure and HttpOnly flags on the affected cookies
solution tried : created below DSS
prconfig/http/setsecurecookie/default and set to TRUE
prconfig/cookie/httponly/default and set to TRUE.
Issue : after setting this, we are not able to login to pega designer studio, could see below errors in log.
Error in log :An error has occurred which indicates that your browser does not support Cookies. You must enable Cookies in order to use this application
Please recommend here
PFA, request and response
- The JSESSIONID cookie still does not use „secure” cookie flag, other cookies and settings are OK
Please recommend to mitigate this issue.
Keep up to date on this post and subscribe to comments
- Security issues after Pen test- SSL Cookie without security flag set
- Security question- Set secure cookie
- To set the HTTPOnly and Secure attributes to "true" on the IAC-NonGateway cookie
- Setting cookies http-only and secure
- PRPC 7.1.6 Connect Rest Issue- No way to select type of secure protocol type (SSL/TLS)