How do I get exception details from third party services (Services are created by Pega Service Wizard) (We get only "SOAP Service Failed")

Hi all,

I am currently creating my web services with wizard with Pega 7.1.7.
And I want to see the details of web service exceptions that thrown by third party applications. 

I have tried a number of ways to do that;
-Catch the exception detail with try-catch block in java, 
-Catch the exception detail with try-catch block in an activity 
-Look into the clipboard to see if exception detail already exists.
-And I create manually the XSTL request and response files, the service, and an activity that calls the service. By this manually created service, I can catch the exception detail. But I don't want to use this way because of loosing the benefits of service wizard and this way brings a lot of rework for existing web services. I want to take advantage of service wizard and ofcourse don't want to do that much rework.

It would be great if anyone can help me.

Thanks a lot.

**Moderation Team has archived post**

This post has been archived for educational purposes. Contents and links will no longer be updated. If you have the same/similar question, please write a new post.

Group Tags


Keep up to date on this post and subscribe to comments

August 22, 2016 - 9:09am

Have you considered the option of using Faults tab in Service-SOAP rule?

Use the Faults tab to specify data returned to the client application when the service encounters a fatal processing error and must return a SOAP fault message. You can also use the Faults tab for other conditions that you want to cause SOAP fault messages to be returned. A fault is a fatal processing error in the service, such that valid data cannot be

Please refer

August 25, 2016 - 3:00am

Hi Gangababu,

Firstly thank you for your very quick answer.

I mentioned web services in the question, but the question is about SOAP connectors. Here we talk to each other connectors as services. I think there is a misunderstanding by our side. 


September 7, 2016 - 11:32am

Try enabling debug on the following classes:



I've used them for Connect SOAP rules, but they may also produce output for SOAP service rules as well. The last one may be for older versions, but it won't hurt to try it.